Monday, September 24, 2012

Market Economy, yo.

I think the part that stood out to me the most about what makes the Market Economy so unique is that workers have the freedom to change jobs and move elsewhere. They also have the ability to decide when and where they work. This is relevant in my life because I have a job and for the most part I get to decide my own hours (or at least tell them the hours I don't want to work). I never really considered that I have this freedom because of little government control in our economic system. 

To add to that, my dad got laid off a few years ago and had the freedom to find a new job that he liked better and that paid more. Since we have a market economy, he was able to move freely to a new job and take advantage of new opportunities (even if it was sort of forced upon him).

One thing that I would like to know is how our work system would be affected with a different economy. For example, if we lived in a command economy, would the government be able to choose our jobs for us and force us to stay with those jobs for the rest of our lives? Maybe it's not so extreme, but it would be interesting to see how different economies have an effect on different work forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment